It's that time of year again...moving season!
It's no secret that moving from one home to another can be stressful, expensive and not to mention, time consuming. As a professional organizer, I frequently work with clients who are in the process of moving. This list of tips is designed to save you time, money and hassle during the moving process!
1. It’s a waste of time and money to pack items you’re just going to throw away once you unpack!
- Expired medications (prescription and over the counter)
- Old newspapers and magazines
- Random disposable utensils (chop sticks come to mind)
- Partially burned candles
- Items with a missing corresponding lid (food storage, travel mugs, water bottles)
- Half used toiletries you no longer use (some places accept toiletries that are at least half full)
- Orphaned socks
- Old makeup
- Basically if you don’t use it and won’t miss it, get rid of it!
2. Clean out your fridge and pantry before packing
If you don’t do this on a regular basis, then you DEFINITELY should go through your fridge, freezer and pantry and toss anything expired. Also, consider donating those food items you know you’re never going to use but aren’t yet expired. This is also the perfect time to purge those sauce packets from your favorite take out or fast food restaurants as well as well as any delivery menus you know you’re never going to use.
3. Snap a picture of the back of your electronics (TV, sound system, computer)
This will make set up MUCH easier in your new house.
4. Measure, measure, measure!
It is so frustrating for you (and the movers) if you try to fit large furniture through a small or narrow entry. Be sure to measure doorways as well as those places in the house that only offer tight turn areas (doorways at the end of a stairwell come to mind). I’ve witnessed this happen a few times when unpacking clients on moving day. It’s frustrating for everyone involved!
5. Pack Smart!
No need to remove items from drawers to pack into a box! Use plastic wrap or Press and Seal to pack up drawers and even your desk tray and silverware. But not your junk drawer!! (see #6)
6. Go through your junk drawer(s)
Decide if the random items in the drawer are something you truly need. Will you ever use those random twist ties? How about that dried up tube of Super Glue? Will you really need these items in the next house or can you part with these things before moving?
7. Space Saver bags could also be called bed saver bags!
The jumbo vacuum space saver bags are a great way to pack your bedding so you can set up the beds in your new home quickly and easily while keeping the bedding clean! They also work great for space effective storage of your extra blankets and pillows in the new home.
8. Donate Smart
If during all those hours preparing to move you decide you can part with gently used items that are still in good shape, look into one of the several charities that will pick up your donations from your home. Epilepsy Foundation, Vietnam Veterans of America, ARC, Habitat for Humanity Restore are just a few example charities that will pick up your items. This website may have more options according to your zip code.
And of course, remember there are resources out there to help ease the stress of moving. Streamlined Living has worked with many clients as they transition from one home to the next by de-cluttering and staging the home before listing photos are taken as well as by unpacking and organizing the new house on moving day. Moving is stressful, allow Streamlined Living to take some of that burden off of your shoulders!